Fedora 11: no display after init sequence

wwp subscript at free.fr
Thu Sep 3 14:03:46 UTC 2009

Hello there,

after I upgraded from Fedora 10 to 11 using yum preupgrade (as proposed by the
daily process that checks for upgrades in GNOME), display in X.org doesn't
work anymore.

My guess is that it's a video/display issue, directly or indirectly, because
the system is responding, meaning I can login in gdm in blind mode using the
keyboard (I got confirmation by reading /var/log/0-slave.log) but the display
is not updated after the loading process with the Fedora logo.

If I boot up in init 2 mode then switch to init 5, I get a blank screen with
a still cursor in top/left corner.

I tried booting with xdriver=vesa as kernel param, same problem.

I changed my xorg.conf to use the vesa driver instead of the intel one, same
problem, with a variant: the blue screen with Fedora logo shows corrupted.

I tried both Option NoAccel True Option DRI False in xorg.conf (file
attached),
same problem.

I tried `X -configure` then `X -config /root/xorg.conf.new`, same problem
(file attached).

When the display is not responding, I cannot switch back to a tty using
ctrl+alt+Fn key combinations, meaning I have to reboot each time I want
to try a different X.org config param.

Nothing looked suspicious to my eyes in /var/log/messages or in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log (attached).

Hardware is a Dell Latitude E6500 with Intel chip and a WUXGA display
(1920x1200). I also attached the output of `lspci -vv` and `lsmod|sort`.

The system is up-to-date (yum), with correct Fedora 11 repositories shown
then I run `yum repolist`.

This is a production laptop and I critically need it to be usable quickly.
I've made a complete backup of the system while it was still running
Fedora 10. In last resort I can rollback to the backup, but well.. this is
not my preferred option at all.

Any help? What could I check or try?

Regards

--