Question on shredding a terebyte drive

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 18:10:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Les<hlhowell at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Earlier on in one of the threads, someone compared encryption with an
> envelope.  That is pretty good.  You know the information is in there,
> but the only way to get it is to open the envelope.  The question is how
> long does it take to open the envelope.  No encryption is unbreakable.
> The value of encryption is how long does it take to break it.

You shouldn't be developing nuclear weapons in your basement in the
first place and storing your top-secret classified documents in your
personal hard drive!!. Much less talking about it on a public mailing
list.

Next time do the drawings with pencil on a sheet of paper, memorize
them all, then shred it and eat the little pieces with some soup.

Oh wait, it wasn't you. It was Dean whom started this thread....

<VBG>

Now seriously, speaking of data security, the other day I was looking
for Word templates and found somene's hard drive fully shared on a
http server, down to the desktop folder, windows dir, etcetera. It
seems he created a "secret" folder under his public http dir and
mounted his windows root there, and "somehow" Google ended up indexing
it all.

Talk about privacy...But I bet he'll take great care to erase his hd
before getting rid of it so no data falls in the wrong hands....

FC