Unable to install libX11

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Sep 3 18:38:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:19:04 +0530 (IST)
SriLatha <haisrilatha at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> Hey i found two files in /etc/yum.repos.d which are
> adobe-linux-i386.repo and yum-iisc-f11.repo which has contents which
> iam attaching here.

> fedora-updates.repo also which iam attaching here.
>
> I tried now installing using yum install libX11-devel\* but there is
> no progress. It got stuck in refresh-package-list. I copied the
> libX11 packages into /var/cache/yum/updates/packages.

I agree with Michael.  You need to talk to iisc.  They've blocked your
system from receiving updates except from them.  They probably want to
reduce bandwidth through their servers, but they aren't running a full
repository. The keys you use to validate packages aren't on your system
but are pointing to a link on their system.

If you want to work around this without involving them, you need to
install the Fedora keys on your system.  Go to the site I suggested
before and download the package fedora-release-11-1.noarch.rpm.  Install
it as rpm -ivh fedora-release-11-1.noarch.rpm  Then try the update
again.  You should now be able to get repo data and thus packages from
other repos than iisc.  They might have the fedora mirror site
blacklisted, so you can't reach it to resolve any other mirrors than
theirs also.  If that is the case, installing the fedora keys won't
work.

And if you just want to install the packages and get on with your
compile, install them using rpm -ivh.  They should still be
in /var/cache/yum/updates/packages.  You can do the same for any other
packages you are missing, download them, and install them with rpm -ivh.