debug system freeze

Gabriel Ramirez gabriello.ramirez at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 03:33:41 UTC 2009

On 09/03/2009 08:36 PM, brian wrote:
> Every couple of days, for the past couple of weeks, my computer locks up
> on me. I can't drop out of X; the only thing to do is hold down the
> power button to shut it down. Can anyone suggest how to debug this?

I don't know as debug this problem, but the same occurs to my machine
after one day or two of uptime the X windows freeze,

- no errors are reported in the logs (messages, dmesg , Xorg.log),
- but the keyboard is dead as the mouse clicks
- the machine is accesible via ssh to shutdown ( restart it)

the solution which works for me is disable the desktop effects in KDE,
after that no more lockups.

this with Fedora 11 x86_64 KDE 4.3( ocurred with 4.2 too) with a

00:02.0 Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 02)

Gabriel