selinux issue - please help

Steven F. LeBrun steven at lebruns.com
Fri Sep 4 04:38:53 UTC 2009

On 09/03/2009 08:42 PM, chloe K wrote:
> Hi all
> how I have to set the selinux to disable?
> to make webserver work
> and
> mysql work too
> if not setting to 0, apache error log
> (13)Permission denied: access to /admin denied
> and mysql error
> 090903 19:43:19  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file
> operation.
> InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
> InnoDB: the directory.
> InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
> InnoDB: File operation call: 'open'.
> InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
> Thank you

> Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new Internet
> Explorer® 8. Optimized for Yahoo! *Get it Now for Free! *
> <http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/>

One way to disable SELinux is to add the option "selinux=0" to your
"kernel /vmlinuz-..." line in the /boot/grub/grub.conf file.  This would
allow you to set up different modes of booting your system.

Are you really sure that you want to disable SELinux?  If you are
running a web server that is exposed to the Internet, I would think that
you would want the protection that it offers.

I run a web server and MySQL on my home network and run SELinux at the
same time.  It was a matter of setting SELinux boolean variables that
directly affect Apache and setting the SELinux Context for the files and
directories that Apache can access.

Try "man httpd_selinux" for details of SELinux setting that apply to Apache.

I did not have any problems with MySQL and SELinux so I am not sure what
SELinux setting affect MySQL.

--
   Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: /"The objection to fairy stories is that they tell children there
are dragons. But children have always known there are dragons. Fairy
stories tell children that dragons can be killed."/
      -- G.K. Chesterton