Disappearing Kernels during Yum update

Steven F. LeBrun steven at lebruns.com
Fri Sep 4 04:48:26 UTC 2009

Over the past few weeks there have been kernel updates for Fedora 11.

When my system receives updates, usually using yumex, and a new kernel
is installed, the oldest kernel in my /boot directory is deleted
automatically and any "title" commands in /boot/grub/grub.conf referring
to those kernels is also removed.  There are only three kernels at a
time in my /boot directory.

So far this has not been a problem, though I almost lost some special
settings in my grub.conf file when old kernels were removed.

My questions:

What controls how many kernels, vmlinuz and associated files, are kept
in the /boot directory?

Is there any way to change this to save a different number of kernels or
insure that a specific kernel is not automatically removed from your system?

--
   Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: / "There are 10 types of people in this world, those that
understand binary and those who don't." /