Problem with alsa-PCM level in pulseaudio

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Sep 4 14:00:30 UTC 2009

Neil Bird wrote:

>   On my F10 box, I just had an issue (after a reboot) with music coming
> out nastily distorted.  At least no my box, this usually means that the
> alsa PCM control is too high/max.

You should report this as a bug against pulseaudio. It probably means
that the default settings for your model of card need ammending.

>   However, I can see no legitimate way of accessing that now that my box
> is set up to use pulseaudio.  alsamixer just shows the one  control,
> being the main volume.  The pulseaudio mixer doesn't help ,it just makes
> the disorted music quieter.

I believe the officially sanctioned way to do this is using gst-mixer
which still gives access to the raw alsa mixer channels.  This is
scheduled to be removed in F12 though as the native gnome-mixer has a
few more features than it had in F11.

Simon.