F11 - gdm autologin enabled = gnome keyring always asking for password?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Sep 4 22:16:24 UTC 2009

jaivuk writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have single user netbook with F11 installed with encrypted partitions.
> (So I enter partition password before it boots) I enabled gdm autologin by
> adding below lines
> into [daemon] section into /etc/gdm/custom.conf and it works fine:
>
> [daemon]
> TimedLoginEnable=true
> TimedLogin=myusername
> TimedLoginDelay=0
>
> The problem is that before netbook is connected to wifi network it asks
> for gnome keyring password.
> Please note keyring did not ask for password when autologin was disabeld
> (and I logged-in manually).
>
> In below discussions I found that there exists pam_keyring solution,
> however as it seems it does not work with autologin enabled either:
>
> Do you please have any hint how to make autologin work without gnome
> keyring asking for password?

I've managed get gnome-keyring to shut up up, with autologin. I don't use
encrypted partitions, but I do not believe this is a factor.

Install the "seahorse" package. This adds "Passwords and Encryption keys" in
the accessories menu. Here's where my recollection is a bit murky, but what
I think I've done is use seahorse to delete the existing keyring, create a
new one with a blank or empty password. The first time around the block I
had to reenter my wireless password, but from that point on I boot,
autologin, and get wireless up without having to enter a password. I've done
this on several laptops, so I know it's possible, but don't recall some of
the details of what I had to do in seahorse.