Wordpress Permissions For Image Uploads

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sat Sep 5 16:52:01 UTC 2009

I installed the Fedora package of wordpress and promptly created a user
account for myself and tried to upload a photo to my first post. The
upload keeps failing due to permissions problems. Wordpress wants to
upload (via php scripts) to

/usr/share/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/09.

I think I need to change /usr/share/wordpress to allow the user apache
group ownership:

chown -R root.apache /usr/share/wordpress

then give group write and execute permissions for /usr/share/wordpress
and all its subdirectories:

chmod -R g+wx /usr/share/wordpress.

Are there any Wordpress users out there with advice for me about whether
this makes sense?

Thanks

Bob