ati drivers fail -- migrating to ubuntu

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Mon Sep 7 20:17:09 UTC 2009

On 09/07/2009 08:49 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 15:38:48 -0400
> Kevin Abbey wrote:
>
>> I'm interested to learn opinions on this subject from the fedora community.
>
> What ATI card do you have?  The ATI Radeon X1950 Pro in this computer works
> great (and the X1550 that I had previously also worked great), WITHOUT the
> proprietary drivers.
>
> I installed F11 on this computer and everything "just worked", including the
> video (1680x1050 on this 22" widescreen monitor).  No need for any proprietary
> driver at all.
>
> Video cards are relatively cheap; perhaps you would be well advised to simply
> get a "good one" -- I can recommend either two models above because I know they
> work.

In my experience with 3 different ATI graphics chipset based systems and two
Intel chipset based systems things are not good. Generally 2D is Ok with some
X11 lockups and pixel corruptions with two of the ATI boards. 3D is a different
story though. None of the graphics cards I have will work with Blender, a fairly
mainstream 3D app and some other 3D apps that I use and I'm sure that the
X1950 Pro and X1550 won't either as there are some fundamental issues in the
mesa/Xorg code that F11 is based upon. These are getting ironed out in the
latest freedesktop git sources and when/if F11's XOrg/Mesa code is updated
I think things will be better.
Not sure how well accelerated Video is supported ...
I am still stuck with F8 using the ATI propitiatory driver for my 3D apps ...