nfsnobody ?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Sep 8 08:56:45 UTC 2009

My daughter loaded a bunch of vacation pictures [du -h shows 5.7G} on to
my Linux nfs server from her Mac portable via our wireless LAN last night.

I can see that the files are there but I can't view them directly, in
fact I can only list directories part way through the tree and they are
long directory names!

However although I can't view them as root either I can copy the files
to this computer and view the images with gthumb. The owner changes in
the copying process which appears to be what makes them accessible to me.

I don't quite understand how this all works, I've messed with owners and
groups before when I observed this problem without success. I certainly
don't want to copy all those files to this computer just to look at a
few pix.

For example:

    [bobg at box9 ~]$ ll
    /mnt/srvr2/HOLIDAY-SanFRANCISCO-24Aug-3Sep-2009/04-Holiday-27-Aug-2009/
    total 108
    drwxrwxrwx. 2 nfsnobody nfsnobody 106496 2009-09-04 19:01
    00-ADJ-MuirWoods-Sausalito-Coastal-Redwoods

How do I deal with the owner "nfsnobody?"

Any help appreciated ...

Bob

.