Blender is not working properly

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Thu Sep 10 13:23:34 UTC 2009

On 09/10/2009 10:31 AM, Antonio M wrote:
> 2009/9/10 Antonio M<antonio.montagnani at gmail.com>:
>> I installed latest blender blender-2.49a-1.fc11.i586 and when I start
>> it on my laptop with intel graphics I get a blank screen on workarea,
>> and it is pretty unusable,
>> I found that setting LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE fixes the screen corruption
>> in bug 510872. Where???
>>
>> Same problem with blender-2.49b-1.fc11.i586.
>>
>> Any help???
>>
>> --
>> Antonio Montagnani
>> Skype : antoniomontag
>> SIP: antoniomontag at ekiga.net
>>
> LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 blender from a terminal makes it work....
> Is the bug connected to xorg or to blender????

The bug is likely to be XOrg/Drm/Mesa related. The versions of these
are under heavy development and the version that F11 uses is quite bug
ridden. I have managed to get Blender to work on my systems by using
later releases of these components from freedesktop GIT sources.

Really 3D support in Fedora 11 is broken and will be until
a much more recent release of XOrg/Drm/Mesa makes its way into F11
updates.

 From the responses to questions I have asked on this, it does not seem
that this is likely to happen. We all may have to wait for F12.
Tt still may be broken in F12, although it looks like Blender at least
will work for a good majority of Graphics boards.

Cheers

Terry