aplay: test_wavefile:807: can't play WAVE-file format 0x0055 !??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Thu Sep 10 17:49:47 UTC 2009

Thanks Stan;
On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 08:23 -0700, stan wrote:
> Checking some backlog, saw I hadn't responded to this.  You have other
> :-)
>
> On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 22:15:21 -0400
> William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Stan and others;
>
> > > http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/docs/HD-Audio.html
> >

> Bill, if I could answer questions like that I would be developing alsa
> drivers. :-)  Snd-hda-intel is the driver for the architecture.
> Because it is a standard architecture, no matter who provides the chips
> that build it, the same driver should *theoretically* work for any
> device that conforms to the standard.  Yeah, right!  Like that will
> happen.  So yes, all hda-intel devices use the snd-hda-intel driver.

I have been directed to the appropriate Intel spec manuals.  I should
probably have gone there first, but I never guessed that 'not-working'
sound could be so complex.

> The parts of the document I thought were particularly relevant for
> people with hda-intel devices that weren't working were the slots
> information at the start, and how to overcome broken bioses that
> mis-reported the device (proprietary drivers can ignore the bios
> reports because they *know* the setup of the hardware), and the
> hda-verb section that allowed the user to change pin configuration on
> the device until it was working.

But your suggestion directed me to up dating my BIOS which was probably
needed anyway.

> i.e. I wasn't viewing it as a
> theoretical overview, though it is partly that, but as a practical way
> of getting an hda-intel device to work on your hardware.

Well I have largely ignored sound and sound devices most of my life, so
delving into this stuff both technically and theoretically have been an
adventure.  One that I intend to pursue.  Luckily I don't have to cram
it all in.  I have the time to learn something; put it aside; think
about it; then go back for more.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3