fedoraproject.org down (ipv6 only)

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Fri Sep 11 05:29:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 08:51:56AM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> said:
> > The AAAA records were added in the past few hours.  If it's causing
> > any problems the folks in #fedora-admin on irc.freenode.net would
> > probably like to know.  That, or file a ticket with the infrastructure
> > team via https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ (this
> > requires a Fedora Account).
>
> It appears that the mirrormanager is not handling IPv6 correctly.  I
> have a Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnel (from Ashburn, Virginia) to my
> home network, and now mirrormanager is giving me non-geolocated URLs.  I
> needed to install something, and one hit downloaded from Brazil, and the
> next hit from Russia.
>
> I've filed this here:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1645

I've rolled out a new version of MirrorManager that uses very new
MaxMind GeoIP code to do IPv6 lookups, and 6to4 (IPv4) lookups too.
This is in use now.  Please let me know if you experience any further
problems.

The MaxMind GeoIP IPv6 database only has a couple thousand entries, so
it's bound to have gaps.  The 6to4 lookups will help close that to
some extent.  But where a user isn't using 6to4, and their network
isn't listed in the database already, you'll get the global list back.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO