Fedora 11 liveCD on GCTP - getting better but WTF is /dev/loopX ?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 18:35:39 UTC 2009

I'm happy to say I'm progressing with booting Fedora 11 XFE LiveCD
(i386) re-spin on the Gateway Touchpad internet appliance.

What I did thanks to the suggestion of Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> was
adding "nomodeset" (unquoted) to the boot parameters and this seems to
get rid of the initial delay.

I also removed "quiet" so I could see what was going on and added NOAPIC
and ACPI=off

The problem I'm having now is that is stays about 1 minute and a half
idle after "starting udev: /min/mknod: ' /dev/loop0' : File exists
/bin/mknod: ' /dev/loop1' : File exists
/bin/mknod: ' /dev/loop2' : File exists
/bin/mknod: ' /dev/loop3' : File exists
/bin/mknod: ' /dev/loop4' : File exists
/bin/mknod: ' /dev/loop5' : File exists
/bin/mknod: ' /dev/loop6' : File exists
/bin/mknod: ' /dev/loop7' : File exists

HERE is where it sits idle for about 1 minute and a half...

Then it suddenly wakes up and continues....

Setting hostname localhost.locadomain: [OK]

What is it doing at that point?.

Suffice to say that a 2.4 kernel based LindowsOS 4.0 (the OS I had on
this system until now) boots in a fraction of the time...

FC