duplex prob

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Sun Sep 13 03:25:45 UTC 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 12 September 2009, sureshbabu ct wrote:
>> I have a Fedora-5 machine.. with two LAN (RTL 8139 c) cards. machine is
>> being used for internet sharing .(proxy)
>>  In that, one LAN card is connected to local area connection and another
>> one is connected to a Broad-band internet connection,
>>
>> while using this command
>>
>> mii-tool
>>
>> eth0: 10 Mbit, half duplex, no link
>> eth1: 10 Mbit, half duplex, no link
>>
>> how to change this to full duplex.
>>

>> I have added this line in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, after
>> that also it is not changing........plz help me...
>>
>> OOTPROTO=none
>
> What is this OOTPROTO thing?  You are missing the B that makes it BOOTPROTO,
> and I have no idea what none is supposed to do, static and dhcp are the 2
> common arguments there.

Hi, Gene.

I ranted about this a couple years back.  The documentation is explicit;
however, static is so widely misused that it is now tested for and set
to none.  Static is not a boot protocol period punto final.

Here's the thread (you may notice a few recognizable denizens;)

About half way down look for "The Official RedHat Linux Reference Guide
Chapter 12. Network Scripts"