Battery - Control Screen brightness

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 20:44:46 UTC 2009

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-09-13 at 11:36 -0400, Mail Lists wrote:
>> Gnome - F11. When I unplug and go on battery - the screen dims. The
>> power applet for non-battery has a slider for screen brightness. The
>> battery tab only has a button to click to dim screen - i have that set
>> to no.
>>
>>   Yet - when I go on power the screen dims. Is there a slider somewhere
>> to set screen brightness when on battery ? If not - is there a gnome
>> register setting ?
>>

>>    The hardware laptop brightness has no further effect - pressing it
>> shows the brightness to full - clearly it is not. As soon as I plug
>> power back in the screen gets brighter.
>>
>>   Thanks for help.
>>
>> gene/
>>
> Sounds like a hardware problem not a software problem. What does your
> manual say about hardware control of screen brightness?

There are reported cases of problems with brightness control in F11 - eg
Samsung NC-10 brightness control does not work under battery power - and you
need a setpci command to set the brightness directly - the OP did  not
report which hardware this applies to in this case but this may be a
different example where there is a problem also.

In the thread at http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=226597 in
post #5:
it says for the NC-10 you need "setpci -s 00:02.1 F4.B=XX" where XX is a hex
number from 00 to FF"

I have an NC-10 and confirm that this is the case for me.

Would be useful to know if there are other BZ for this problem also?