nfs.mount: access denied by server issue

matt tobin matt.tobin at utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 14 18:10:32 UTC 2009

When I try to log in with a user account on a Mac OS X Tiger 10.4
server, I get an unable to authenticate user message.
logging in as root in terminal and using mount -a reveals:
nfs.mount: access denied by server while mounting server:/folder

I've been able to hook up several Dell computers with no issues.  This
is a non-dell client machine.
I've confirmed the hosts and fstab are the same as other systems and
that the machine is on a static ip address.

any suggestions?