F11 and jackd

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 15 01:25:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 20:07 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Andras Simon wrote:
> > On 9/15/09, lanas <lanas at securenet.net> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>   Using yum I've installed jackd and qjackctl on an fully updated F11
> >> x86_64 system.  When using qjackctl to start jackd it reports that it
> >> cannot connect to alsa.  What would be the proper configuration to use
> >> jackd on a F11 x86_64 system ?
> >
> > Maybe PulseAudio stands between jackd and alsa? I'm not sure if you
> > can have both (i.e. jackd and PA). If not, then the required
> > configuration for jackd is throwing out PA.
> >
> > Andras
> >
> There is a plug in, I believe for jackd, that lets it work with PA.
> I don't remember then name, but you can search for it. Try doing a
> search for pulse or jack in yumex.

There is such a module, namely:
	pulseaudio-module-jack

I've been running jackd successfully along with pulseaudio, though with
some xrun problems.  In order to avoid xruns, jackd needs a whole lot of
frames and periods, namely:
	4096 frames, 4 periods
	341 msec latency
and a kernel rebuilt to be preemtable.