From Rawhide to Stable

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Sep 15 13:35:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 09:15:27 +0200,
  davide <lists4davide at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm a (quite) new user of Fedora, but with almost 10+ years of
> linux experience (debian, mostly).
> I installed fedora 11 and then after few months upgraded (via
> preupgrade-cli) to the rawhide branch.
> I upgraded just for curiosity and to check how many rpms we'll have in
> few weeks.
>
> Rawhide works nice, almost every piece of software is there working for me.
> Nevertheless, I would like to downgrade to the stable leonidas branch
> (where I tested radeon driver is perfectly working for my card).
>
> Is it possible? How should I proceed to downgrade all the rpms to f11 release?

It's possible with a lot of work. Obsoletes don't work in reverse so that
something like yum downgrade isn't going to work very well. Probably the
majority of the downgrade will be blocked. Sometimes things like the rpm
database format changes and it is going to take a lot of futzing around
to work around that. In general if you want to try rawhide and still have
the old version available, you want to make a fresh install to an available
partition or use a Live CD/DVD.

Probably the easiest way to do this to save your data and do a fresh install.
Since things seem to be working for you, I'd suggest holding off until
you find an actual problem before trying to revert. It's late enough in the
F12 cycle that there probably won't be a lot of new breakage and if things
are working for you now, they will probably continue to do so through the
release.