How Fedora chose me

gilpel at altern.org gilpel at altern.org
Tue Sep 15 23:48:33 UTC 2009

Davide wrote:

> I just wonder why repositories offers "so few" with respect (to) "the
> other distro"

Beside all the good reasons that have already been given, the utmostly
"community" spirit of Debian must be considered. People take a lot of
pride in being Debian developers. So, even though a package hasn't been
downloaded once in the last 10 years, if a developer comes up with his
package for a new release, it will be included.

The same is true for Fedora, I suppose, but there might be less insistance
on the part of developers to be counted as Fedora developers.

This said, it seems that Debian sometimes reacts faster than Fedora.
Whereas LiVES is still, as far as I know, a bug report/wishlist in Fedora,
the other distro has it included for the next release:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/lives

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/graphics/lives

This is an instance I am aware of. There might be others but, in the end,
I doubt very much you should feel like a reject of the open source
software world with Fedora :) Most likely, Lives will be part of Fedora
12.