How to display details and severity of the updates using yum on a command-line?

jaivuk jaivuk at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 16 12:01:01 UTC 2009

Hello guys,

Using F11 in graphical "Software update" tool I can see severity and also
detailed information about an update, for example here are the details about
latest update for coreutils:

This update will fix bugs and other non-critical problems.
This notification was issued on 2009-09-09.
• ls -i: print consistent inode numbers also for mount points (#453709)
• do process install-info only with info files present(#515970)
• fix misalignment in ls -l in fr_FR locales(#517626)

However I prefer to do my updates via command line using yum update command.
My question is - how can I display
the same information via command-line yum? I would also like to see severity
as well - for example if update is critical or not.

I checked yum man page but I do not see it in there. I also remember I was
able to get this information on .deb
based system and I will find it very useful on Fedora if it is possible.

Thank you very much in advance,

Jaiv