fedore love/issues

Maurizio Ungaro ungaro at jlab.org
Wed Sep 16 12:47:07 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I have been using Fedora for many years now, I'm generally very happy
with it. I'm also positively surprised and comforted by this mailing
list: the Fedora community is well alive and rocking :)

With that preamble, it's obvious I'm writing about a few problems I have
with Fedora 11 :)

1) During installation (fresh installation from a Fedora 9 system), I
chose "custom layout" and chose to leave /home and /opt alone. I also
chose to leave another disk alone.
To my surprise, once booted, I found that not only /home was deleted,
but Fedora automatically used the other disk as a raid array... so I
lost all that data as well.
I surely would have liked an explicit option NOT to do that. Also, the
disk mirrored is 75 GB. But the other disk was 300 GB. How can I use the
remaining 225 GB?

2) During installation, I wish I had the choice to make SE Linux
optional. As it was with previous releases.

3) This might not be Fedora-related, but I'm finding that the disk
mounting is getting a bit complicated with time. I miss the days where
fstab was easier to read and modify, and there were no layers between me
and /dev/sda, etc (I'm talking about labels, uuid, etc). Also, there
seems to be no more exact correlation between what fdisk see and what I
can mount.

4) Still regarding disk mounting: I have an external hard drive that
with Fedora 9 I could manually mount/dismount. That disk was in sleep
mode when not used. It doesn't go in sleep mode anymore. Also, fdisk -l
doesn't see it unless I mount it via the "external devices" button.

Is there any chance to see these issues addressed? From my point of
view, all of the above issues were non-existent before, so it's kind of
a "downgrade".

thanks for the attention,
mauri