fedore love/issues

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 13:56:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 08:47:07AM -0400, Maurizio Ungaro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been using Fedora for many years now, I'm generally very happy
> with it. I'm also positively surprised and comforted by this mailing
> list: the Fedora community is well alive and rocking :)
>
> With that preamble, it's obvious I'm writing about a few problems I have
> with Fedora 11 :)
>
> 1) During installation (fresh installation from a Fedora 9 system), I
> chose "custom layout" and chose to leave /home and /opt alone. I also
> chose to leave another disk alone.
> To my surprise, once booted, I found that not only /home was deleted,
> but Fedora automatically used the other disk as a raid array... so I
> lost all that data as well.

Yikes, that should not be happening.  Did you report a bug in
Bugzilla, and attach your install.log and install.log.syslog in the
bug?

> I surely would have liked an explicit option NOT to do that. Also, the
> disk mirrored is 75 GB. But the other disk was 300 GB. How can I use the
> remaining 225 GB?

If disks are set up in a mirror, you're generally restricted to the
size of the original disk.  If you set up *partitions* in a mirror,
though, you have more flexibility.

> 2) During installation, I wish I had the choice to make SE Linux
> optional. As it was with previous releases.

There's practically no reason for it now -- I run in enforcing mode
all the time and I can't remember the last time I even noticed, let
alone had a problem.  That doesn't mean there aren't SELinux policy
improvements waiting to be made.  If you encounter a bug, file it,
because we do send out policy updates quickly to fix them.

> 3) This might not be Fedora-related, but I'm finding that the disk
> mounting is getting a bit complicated with time. I miss the days where
> fstab was easier to read and modify, and there were no layers between me
> and /dev/sda, etc (I'm talking about labels, uuid, etc). Also, there
> seems to be no more exact correlation between what fdisk see and what I
> can mount.

Things are generally handled with labels now, which are more flexible
and don't rely on easily-broken device names like /dev/sda.  Also,
there's a /dev/disk/* area you can use which I find is really helpful
when I'm looking for a specific disk.  I don't have to know whether
it's sda, sdb, sdf... which is good, especially now that 187-in-1
media readers (or whatever it's up to today) are so popular!

> 4) Still regarding disk mounting: I have an external hard drive that
> with Fedora 9 I could manually mount/dismount. That disk was in sleep
> mode when not used. It doesn't go in sleep mode anymore. Also, fdisk -l
> doesn't see it unless I mount it via the "external devices" button.

Hm, that's interesting, because I have an external hard drive on a
machine here that does sleep just like it should when unused.  So it's
not a system wide problem.  Do you have any processes running which
might be using the drive?