java development questions

listmail at websage.ca listmail at websage.ca
Wed Sep 16 21:40:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:14:23 -0700
jack craig <jackc at linuxlighthouse.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am using a FC11 os and want to learn Java.
>
> I am faced with choices that i don't have good answers for and wonder
> what wisdom this group may have to offer?
>
> first, IDE's; there are eclipse and IcedTea6 (which doenst have much
> doc), are there others i am missing?
>
> anyone got pros/cons for eclipse or icedtea?
>
> also, there is the sun jdk, but this os seems to have openjdk also,
> anyone comment on this choice?
> openjdk also seems shy of install/config docs, ... ???  may both be
> installed & usable at once?
> (not at the same time of course).
>
> all comments welcome, tia, jackc...

FWIW I'm using NetBeans 6.7 with OpenJDK on F11/X86_64 for java dev and
quite happy with it. I believe you can have multiple jdks on the same
machine but you need to establish one as 'active' using the cli:

alternatives --config java

API docs are usually packaged separately, which may explain why you
didn't see them...

I used to use eclipse but found I was spending WAY too much time
fiddling with dependences, etc. and had problems with SVN support

HTH,

Greg Maruszeczka