simple way to build rpm?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 17 02:14:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 22:24 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Fernando Cassia wrote:
> >> It is just RIDICULOUS not to have an automated way to create RPMs.
> >
> > Feel free to write such a tool.  Those that exist have various fatal
> > flaws.  I'd certainly never use checkinstall on my system nor would I
> > want anyone producing rpms with it for inclusion in Fedora. :)
> >
> > Again, feel free to write it.  No one else has done a good job of this
> > yet.
>
> Could you please tell what is wrong with checkinstall other than "it sucks" ??
>
> I'm sure the author of checkinstall would be more than happy to
> receive bug reports.
>
> Instead, the attitude I saw here was that checkinstall sucks, and that
> everybody should build RPMs the traditional (complex) way.
----
what are you complaining about?

RPM's built intelligently will check for required packages, build as
user so they don't over-write existing files and be properly version'ed
to update older versions and allow itself to be updated by newer
versions.

The only thing checkinstall does is keep track of where the files were
installed so they can be removed.

If checkinstall appeals to you, just install source tarballs
into /usr/local as I expect most source installs to have both an install
and an uninstall function these days anyway.

But if you want to dance to the music, you have to pay the fiddler.

Craig

believed to be clean.