How to use fedora-11 source dvd?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Sep 17 14:49:00 UTC 2009

Abhishek Sharma wrote:
> I accidentally downloaded the fedora-11-source-DVD, instead of
> downloading the bootable version of fedora.  Now I have few doubts
> regarding this DVD.
>
> 1. Can I use it to install fedora?

I'm sorry to tell you that you cannot.

> 2. Can I use it to install packages contained in it?

You can install packages from the source DVD, but they are the source
rpms, not the binary rpms.  They would not be useful for running any
of the programs that the binary packages provide.  The source packages
are useful for inspecting the source code and patches used to create
Fedora, or if you want to customize them or fix bugs in the packaging.

There are three ways to get something done: do it yourself, hire
someone, or forbid your kids to do it.
    -- Monta Crane