discovering network printers on F11

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 17 17:37:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 09:35 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:
> > had mis-remembered.  What it actually said (page 10, if you
> > have LXF 124, November) was that the firewall by default turns
> > of multicasting.  The 'comment' is a bit of a rant,
> > saying that if something as vital as this is disabled there
> > should be some way of alerting you to it.
>
> Hmmm....sorry I do not have this, but how do you switch this on?  Does
> anyone know?
>

> > Btw, I went and disabled selinux using
> > >
> >  system-config-selinux but the printers were still not
> > discovered. I have
> > >
> >  reverted it back to enforcing, but I wonder what the
> > problem is, and how
> > >
> >  to troubleshoot it.
> > >

> > That
> > rules out SELinux, then.  If you haven't done so, check
> > firewalls - but I think someone already told you to do
> > that.
>
> Yes, I poked holes to allow the samba and ipp clients through, as well
> as the ipp server. Trouble is, I do not understand what to look for.
> How do I trouble shoot when the messages in /var/log/messages do not
> appear to be beyond the information I provided. Is there any other
> place to look at?
>
> The ubuntu machine seems to do just fine in discovering the network
> printers: I am just trying to understand what is going on here.
----
one of the problems with an active list is that you don't always know
whose advice to follow and who is just taking shots in the dark.

When it comes to printing ALWAYS follow Tim Waugh's advice because he is
Red Hat/Fedora printing man. As far as I can tell, you ignored his
advice and chased down everyone else's.

You probably haven't enabled your system to discover network servers but
I think Tim suggested that you run the 'printing troubleshooter'

Craig

believed to be clean.