discovering network printers on F11

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 17 17:52:36 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 9/17/09, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> From: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
> Subject: Re: discovering network printers on F11
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 1:37 PM
> On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 09:35 -0700,
> Globe Trotter wrote:
> > > had mis-remembered.  What it actually said
> (page 10, if you
> > > have LXF 124, November) was that the firewall by
> default turns
> > > of multicasting.  The 'comment' is a bit of
> a rant,
> > > saying that if something as vital as this is
> disabled there
> > > should be some way of alerting you to it.
> >
> > Hmmm....sorry I do not have this, but how do you
> switch this on?  Does
> > anyone know?
> >

> > > Btw, I went and disabled selinux using
> > > >
> > >  system-config-selinux but the printers were
> still not
> > > discovered. I have
> > > >
> > >  reverted it back to enforcing, but I wonder
> what the
> > > problem is, and how
> > > >
> > >  to troubleshoot it.
> > > >

> > > That
> > > rules out SELinux, then.  If you haven't
> done so, check
> > > firewalls - but I think someone already told you
> to do
> > > that.
> >
> > Yes, I poked holes to allow the samba and ipp clients
> through, as well
> > as the ipp server. Trouble is, I do not understand
> what to look for.
> > How do I trouble shoot when the messages in
> /var/log/messages do not
> > appear to be beyond the information I provided. Is
> there any other
> > place to look at?
> >
> > The ubuntu machine seems to do just fine in
> discovering the network
> > printers: I am just trying to understand what is going
> on here.
> ----
> one of the problems with an active list is that you don't
> always know
> whose advice to follow and who is just taking shots in the
> dark.
>
> When it comes to printing ALWAYS follow Tim Waugh's advice
> because he is
> Red Hat/Fedora printing man. As far as I can tell, you
> ignored his
> advice and chased down everyone else's.
>
> You probably haven't enabled your system to discover
> network servers but
> I think Tim suggested that you run the 'printing
> troubleshooter'

Hi,

I did not know that Tim was the printing man, but I did run the "printing troubleshooter" (which for me is the Troubleshoot button on system-config-printer, is that the right thing?) Sorry to be naive, but how does one enable the system to discover network servers?

Thanks very much, everybody, for all the help and advice.