Your system is too slow

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 19 16:15:15 UTC 2009

On 09/19/2009 07:17 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Aug 2009, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
>> Is there an nvidia driver that allows suspend to
>> disk and does not experience extreme slowness?
>
> More precisely, is there an nvidia driver
> that does not experience extreme slowness?
>
> I've had trouble getting flash to play right
> either through firefox or through mplayer.
> Most recently mplayer told me that my system was to slow.
> It made suggestions that were scrolled
> off the screen by many cpoies of
>> AO: [pulse] pa_stream_get_latency() failed: Connection terminated
>> AO: [pulse] pa_stream_write() failed: Connection terminated.4% 1312 0
>
> I'm running a recent install of F11 on a 3 GHz
> pentium 4 with hyperthreading, 4G of memory
> and F11's video driver.
> So far, it has not made me happy.
> [hennebry at localhost Cache]$ uname -a
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.29.6-217.2.16.fc11.i686.PAE #1 SMP Mon
> Aug 24 17:16:21 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> [hennebry at localhost Cache]$
> The GEForce nvidia card and the 4G of memory are
> not original equipment, but they predate F11.
>
> At one point, instead of a login, I got a screen with one line:
>> nouveau 0000:01:00.0: nouveau_fifoo_free: freeing fifo 0
>
> I had to reboot.

[1] Replace the nouveau driver with the "evil" Nvidia driver

[2] mplayer "-ao alsa"

I've got an old P4 box with a gforce 7300 running F11 that plays high
def video just fine with the Nvidia driver and "-ao alsa". With the
nouveau driver and pulse audio the box is unusable for video playback.

Regards,

John