booting without X

Hiisi very-cool at rambler.ru
Mon Sep 21 05:23:37 UTC 2009

2009/9/21 Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:30:07 -0700
> Gerhard Magnus wrote:
>
>> I have a box I'm running headless and I've realized I don't need to be
>> running X on it. Is the best way to have it come up automatically
>> without starting X each time I boot to change line in /etc/inittab line
>>
>> id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: ?
>
> Yes.
>
> You can still have a gnome desktop or whatever you like on it remotely, if
> you wish,  through something like VNC.
>
> --
>
> --

Moreover, if you need to start X run 'startx'. To browse the WEB you
can use lynx or some other text-based browser. If you have mplayer
installed you can watch videos even in runlevel:3! (It works somehow
strange) I only would like to know how to add different keyboard
layouts. Say, I would like to write in Finnish or Russian language.
How to do that?

--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.