Question on using a Joystick as a mouse in Fedora please?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Sep 21 20:57:53 UTC 2009

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Rick Sewill <rsewill at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a question on using a Joystick as a mouse in Fedora.
>>
>> I wish to avoid getting carpal tunnel syndrome.
>> I noticed, when I use regular mice, I have poor hand position.
>> So far, my wrist is okay...but it gets red if I'm not careful.
>
> What you need is a TRACKBALL. A good, old-fashioned Trackball.
>
> I use one... the Kensington Expert Mouse 5.0 (don´t let words fool
> you, it´s a TRACKBALL).
> It uses a PS2 connection so no special drivers are needed. Find one on eBay...
>
> Your wrist moves very little -if at all- and you can move the ball
> with the tip of your fingers...
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Trackball-Kensington-ExpertMouse5.jpg
>
> FC

I know that I am late in this conversation but I have used this for
years.  I second the idea of a real track ball.

http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html

I have one at work and one at home.  It uses the fingers or palm of your
hand.  I have mine set to use three buttons but it can be programmed to
use other features.  The ring around the ball is the scroll wheel which
is great.

I have enough control to edit photo's or do drafting drawings.

It comes with a wrist pad.

The only issue is, if I get lazy, I will put my wrist in an odd angle.

I have had to change the micro switches on the one at home.  It gets
used quite a lot by the whole family.

I know someone that had issues with CTS and went for the thumb ball and
ended up in worse shape.
--
Robin Laing