Running a Script- and debugging.

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Sep 22 23:09:28 UTC 2009

On 22Sep2009 15:46, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
| Could someone give me a Ideal as to this part of a script would
| hangup script.
| In FC11.
|
| The hangup stops at;
|
| cd 'dirname $0'

Hmm. Is this _inside_ the debugger? It is possible the debugger is in
single-step mode (I have never used it), and it is stopping here so that
you can step through the script.

If you run the script as:

  sh -vx /path/to/the/script

does it stop there as well?

The -v recites script lines as they are read, and the -x shows commands
as they are executed. The line:

  cd `dirname $0`

should show _once_ for the -v as it reads the line, and as two commands
for the -x: it will run "dirname $0", and then a "cd /path/to/the"
(which is what "dirname" is producing from /path/to/the/script).

On the subject of editors at the command line, you may prefer to avoid "vi"
and "emacs" and use the command "nano", which is a small and point-and-type
style editor.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things.   - Doug Gwyn