Your system is too slow

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Sep 23 15:16:38 UTC 2009

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> Eventually I did a cntrl-alt-F2 to get a console,
> logged in as root and did a yum erase kmod-nvidia-PAE .
> Rebooting still failed.
> On my next attempt, I picked the second option on the grub menu.
> This time, rebooting worked.
>
> Apparently, if I want a system that's not too slow and can play
> flash without mplayer hanging, I'll need to go back to F10.
> I certainly don't want to go through that mess again.
>
> Gawd I hate it when things just don't work.

I have noticed that mplayer says this for almost all the videos that I
play on F11.  They play well on F10 and in VLC on F11.  I am wondering
if it is an mplayer fault and thus for discussion om rpmfusion's list.

I do notice that in F11, my system disk access seams to just hang for a
second in many different programs.  It has really become an issue since
I have started to stream video to my PS3.

Thinking as I write this, I find that every time I run mplayer on my
home machine (F11) the video doesn't start right away.  Yet in F10, it
starts right away using the same video.  This is when mplayer will say
that my system is to slow.  The only difference between the machines is
I am running RAID 1 at home.

It is on my to-do list to look into this.

--
Robin Laing