root e-mail (Was Questionable Status)

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Sep 23 16:57:10 UTC 2009

Mikkel wrote:
> Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>>
>> For a good majority of Fedora desktop users, that root mail is
>> never read.
>>
> This is not good. Maybe a modification of the install procedure to
> set an alias so that all mail goes to the first normal user that is
> set up? Or an option to do this as part of the install? What do you
> think?

This only helps if users read local mail, which I doubt is much more
likely than reading root's mail spool.  For desktop installs, there is
a proposed feature to not install any MTA by default and send all cron
output and other things that are currenly mailed to root to logfiles
instead.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NoMTA

For the typical desktop user this will probably be about the same as
now.  Instead of having unread messages in /var/spool/mail/root,
they'll be in /var/log/*. :)

For those of use acustomed to having an MTA installed and sending
root's mail somewhere it is read, it will just be a matter of
installing the MTA of our choice.  (Which for me would be slightly
simpler, as I wouldn't have to handle removing sendmail and replacing
it with postfix.)

Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers
sometimes smell really bad.
    -- Demotivators (www.despair.com)