floppy disk formatting: how to?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Sep 23 22:42:04 UTC 2009

Mikkel writes:

> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> Hiisi writes:
>>

>>> /dev/fd0H1440: Tiedostoa tai hakemistoa ei ole
>>> No formattable capacities for /dev/fd0
>>
>> You're missing some device node.
>>
>> Run 'MAKEDEV fd0'
>>
> On my system, the device node is /def/fd0u1440, not /dev/fd0H1440.

According to the fd man page:

       3.5 inch high density device files:

       Name         Capac.   Cyl.   Sect.   Heads   Base minor #
       fdnH1440     1440K    80     18      2       28

And that's what MAKEDEV created for me.

> In any case, you should not need to run MAKEDEV - udev is supposed
> to take care of creating device nodes. If you create your own, it
> will not survive a reboot.

[mrsam at commodore dev]$ ls -al fd0H1440 fd0u1440
brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2, 28 2009-09-22 19:52 fd0H1440
brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2, 28 2009-09-22 19:52 fd0u1440

It's the same device node.

I don't know whether at some point in the last couple of years the commonly
accepted naming convention for floppy device nodes has changed, or if this
is a Fedora-ism. If the standard naming convention has changed, then I'll
update floppy as soon as I see where the new naming convention is
documented. But, as of now, this is what the fd man page says the naming
convention should be, and that's what MAKEDEV creates.