Setup of DNS caching name server for home server

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Sep 25 06:57:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 23:56:29 -0400,
  "Steven W. Orr" <steveo at syslang.net> wrote:

> Ok. I'll byte. Where do I start reading? Somebody has to be my resolver.

No they don't. The root servers don't change very often and resolvers
typically have the current set included as part of the package. I think
in bind they are called hints.

Resolvers work by starting at the root servers and working their way
down (most of the time the tld server address will be cached and your
server won't be bugging the root servers very often) to the name server that
has the records you want. There are some tricky things the resolver needs
to worry about if the intermediate name servers are out of bailiwick
(since you shouldn't trust the glue records in that case).