I can't connect via ssh

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Fri Sep 25 21:11:28 UTC 2009

On 09-09-25 16:41:19, Aldo Foot wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Germán Racca
> <german.racca at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi list:
> >
> > I need to use ssh to transfer data between a PC and a notebook,
> > both with Fedora 11, but the result is, from notebook to PC:
> >

> > $ ssh xx.xx.xx.xx
> > ssh: connect to host xx.xx.xx.xx port 22: No route to host

What is the output of `route` on that system?  I expect that there is
no route to the destination address.  "route" can also be used to add a
route with a command like `route add xx.xx.xx.xx dev eth0`, see `man
route`.

> > $ ping xx.xx.xx.xx
> > >From xx.xx.xx.xx icmp_seq=11 Destination Host Unreachable
> > >From xx.xx.xx.xx icmp_seq=12 Destination Host Unreachable
> > >From xx.xx.xx.xx icmp_seq=13 Destination Host Unreachable
> >
> > >From PC to notebook there is no response.
> > Please can anybody help me?
> ______
>
> is this problem with ssh only?
> presumably you have a connection to the internet.
>
> and thus the NIC is up
>       # ifconfig | grep UP
>
> on both machines, what do you get with:
>       # iptables -L | grep ssh
>
> check that the sshd service is running
>       # service sshd status

I expect that the problem now is the route, but how are the two
computers connected?  If they both connect to a router / switch and can
both use the Internet, then they should already see each other
(usually).  If they're just cabled together, well, that might not be
working.