Running a Script- and debugging.

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Sep 25 21:13:58 UTC 2009

On 24Sep2009 15:57, Nifty Fedora Mitch <niftyfedora at niftyegg.com> wrote:
| On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 09:19:26AM -0400, Jim wrote:
| >> Also 'odd' things can happen if '.' and strange places
| >> are in your PATH.   Are you running it as root via "su",
| >> as root via "su -", as root via "sudo" or as yourself.
| > Mitch you DID IT !!  su - instead of su
|
| What portable tricks out there might be included in a script
| to test for a user that typed "su" when "su -" is
| required.   An initial version would simply present
| a hint but not exit.

This is really the wrong thing to test.

What you want to test is that the environment is sufficient for the
script. Testing "which foo" for various required commands (like
ifconfig or whatever is needed). Checking that certain things are in the
$PATH (or, better, _putting_ them in the $PATH).

i.e. check specific required stuff, not a hand-waving "might I have been
invoked in some special way".
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Sometimes the only solution is to find a new problem.