BIOS update

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Sun Sep 27 21:28:29 UTC 2009

Hiisi wrote:
> Dear all!
> I would like to update BIOS on my desktop. It has gigabyte motherboard
> and manufacturer provides only exe-utility for BIOS update. I was
> trying to follow this tip:
> http://www.linuxinsight.com/how-to-flash-motherboard-bios-from-linux-no-dos-windows-no-floppy-drive.html
> It is possible to boot into FreeDOS but it's impossible to run
> BIOS.exe. The error is: 'This program can't be run in DOS'
> I have VirtualBox installed on the computer. Is it possible to update
> BIOS from window$XP on virtual machine as guest?
> Thanks in advance!

It looks like the EXE is simply a 7-Zip self-extracting program, which
will run under Wine (or should certainly run in Windows XP). It contains
a DOS FLASH891.EXE program, a s651mprz.f8 file (you may be able to use
this with Q-Flash, in the BIOS: see the manual for details), and a
simple autoexec.bat.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | A wood-pigeon would, If a wood-pigeon could,
aprilcottage.co.uk | But a wood-pigeon can’t, So it won’t.