I can't connect via ssh [SOLVED]

Germán Racca german.racca at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 18:19:13 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-27 at 11:33 -0400, Erik Hemdal wrote:
> .
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 17:23:17 -0300
> > From: Germ?n Racca <german.racca at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: I can't connect via ssh
> > To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using
> > Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>

> > Hi Erik,
> >
> > Thanks for your clarifying message! Now I discovered the following:
> >
> > I can ping and connect via ssh from other computer to my notebook, but
> > *I can't from other computer to my PC*. The messages, from other
> > computer to my PC are:
> >
> > $ ssh xx.xx.xx.xx
> > ssh: connect to host xx.xx.xx.xx port 22: No route to host
> >

> OK, so what can we learn from this?
>
> Your notebook has a working configuration of the SSH server and it can be
> found on the network.
> Your "other computer" probably has a good configuration of the SSH client.
>
> If you end up with SSH troubles, knowing which systems have known-good
> setups can be very important.  But from what you've told me, I don't yet
> suspect SSH is the problem, there's something else.  You aren't even
> reaching SSH on the computer you want to get to.
>
> > $ ping xx.xx.xx.xx
> >>From xx.xx.xx.xx icmp_seq=11 Destination Host Unreachable
>
> So if I understand things, there are three computers here:  The "PC", which
> is the computer you're trying to access, let's call that "Alpha", another
> computer, let's call it "Baker", and your notebook, let's call it "Charlie".
>
> Baker can "ssh into" Charlie.  But neither Baker nor Charlie can ssh into
> Alpha.  And Alpha is the one you really need to reach.  Further,you can't
> even ping Alpha, you get the "no route to host" errors.  Since you get them
> from two different computers, Baker and Charlie, I'm more suspicious that
> something on Alpha is the problem, or something on the network (the common
> link) is wrong.
>
> If I were there, I would check  a few things.  I'd log on to Alpha and see
> what I can do FROM that computer.  Can you browse the Web, ping other
> computers, and so forth?   That might tell us a lot.  For example, if the
> network cable on that computer is loose or broken, you'd see these problems.
>
> Then, I'd try to look at the equipment itself:  What is the computer
> connected to on the network?  For example, it might go into a network box
> right there in the room, or it might just go into the wall.  If the first
> case is true, then you can check the network connections that are there.  If
> the network cable goes into the wall, you probably need to talk to the
> network admins for help. When other posters were asking about your physical
> setup, this is what they were asking about.
>
> If you can reboot Alpha, or at least restart its network service, you might
> cure the problem too.  But you need to know if Alpha is working right first;
> don't just turn it off if you don't have to.
>
> Erik

Hi all:

After the administrator of the network changing the connection of my PC
in the switcher, I can ping and connect via ssh from my PC to my
notebook and vice versa.

Thanks to all that helped me with this issue, I learned a bit more about
this.

Cheers & abrazos,
Germán

--
Germán A. Racca
National Institute for Space Research (INPE)