creating a new gnome terminal, running a command when the term starts...

Sharpe, Sam J sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 18:26:57 UTC 2009

2009/9/28 bruce <bedouglas at earthlink.net>:
> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to create/invoke a new gnome-terminal, were i start/run a script
> when the term starts up..
>
> from the gnome-terminal docs, i'm assuming i can accomplish this by using
> the "-x/-e" attribute when i fire up gnome-terminal...
>
> this doesn't work... others appear to have the same issue...
>
> so, when i do:
>        gnome-terminal -x "foo"

I don't know what you are doing, but I don't think it's right. Try this:

# echo "echo hello" >/tmp/foo
# echo "sleep 1000000" >>/tmp/foo
# chmod 755 /tmp/foo
# gnome-terminal -e /tmp/foo

On my system, that results in a new gnome-terminal opening, containing
the word "hello". If that works, then there is something wrong with
your script and not gnome-terminal.

--
Sam