Fsck at shutdown instead of startup

Gijs info at bsnw.nl
Tue Sep 29 08:54:20 UTC 2009

Hello List,

Today I once again had to wait 30 minutes for fsck to finish checking my
1TB disk and I'm getting a bit fed up with it. I'd like to make it so
that the PC is checking its disks at shutdown instead of at startup. I
don't really care if it takes hours to complete after a shutdown, but if
I have to wait when I actually want to use the PC, that kinda really
annoys me.

I've looked around on the net and it seems Ubuntu has a tool to do this.
But no such thing exists for Fedora afaik. Some people on the net
suggested to make a bash script to execute at shutdown. Now this seems
to be a solution, but the filesystems will still be mounted RW when I
want to check them, so that's not gonna work.

Has anyone else found a solution to this problem or maybe give some
pointers on how to make it work?

Regards, Gijs