How do I change from a regular kernel to a PAE kernel ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 05:27:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 00:43 -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> On 09/30/09 00:21, quoth Linuxguy123:

> > Evolution seems to be faster, but 'free -m' isn't showing that I am
> > running out of memory or anything.   I generally have ~1600 MB free now.
> > I gained 1 GB, so before it would have been ~400 MB free.
> >
> > Now I should increase the size of my swap file partition from 2GB to
> > 4GB...
> >

> I just did this last week. Works fine. But I just have one question:
>
> You say your situation is that you're now running at around 1.6G free mem. So
> why bump the swap area? You can do it, but the whole point was to use more
> memory. If you didn't run out of swap before then you're even less likely to
> run out now, unless you now plan on doing things that you didn't do before.

I'm running 1.6 GB free when not running any of my heavy duty
applications like ufraw (batch), digikam, eclipse (sometimes 2 or more
instances), gimp, a couple browsers, evolution and a couple Open Office
apps.

Did I mention that I want to start editing HD video ?

I need 8 GB of RAM !

BTW: The PAE kernel seems to run faster.