install Eclipse plugins in home folder

Christoph Höger choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 30 17:44:50 UTC 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 30.09.2009, 09:54 -0400 schrieb Andrew Overholt:
> * Christoph Höger <choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de> [2009-09-30 06:55]:
> > in the good old days there used to be a plugins/ folder somewhere inside
> > ~/.eclipse .
>
> Yes, this was before p2 in 3.4.
>
> > For f11 (eclipse 3.4) I cannot find this folder anymore. Any ideas where
> > it has gone?
>
> I don't know if it's possible to do it anymore.  There may be a
> directory buried in ~/.eclipse somewhere but I'm not sure.

Creating ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse<VERSION>/dropins manually worked.

> > Also /usr/{share,lib}/eclipse/{dropins,plugins}/ did not work out.
>
> Why not?  No root access?  Try installing from the zip or local
> directory with the update manager.  That should work just fine as a
> regular user.

To be honest I do not know what caused it, but running eclipse -console
showed a problem that might cause it: Eclipse seems to cache bundles
based on names and versions, so if you put a damaged plugin to dropins/
and overwrite it (what I tried) the new jar will not even be read if it
has the same version - no warning, nothing.
So Kids: Never try that at home! Always use eclipses install manager.
(and to rpm packagers: do not try to update by a new rpm release without
either erasing eclipses cache or changing the version of the plugin)