NFS causing slooooow boot

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Sep 30 21:11:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:40:47 -0400 (EDT)
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > bg
> >
> > If the first NFS mount attempt times out
>
> The problem is the "if the first attempt times out" part. If the
> machine is down, it is gonna timeout, and each filesystem from that
> machine is gonna take the same amount of time to timeout. I want the
> option that says "just background the dadgum thing to start with!"

  good point.  i might start with "-F" mount option:

"Fork off a new incarnation of mount for each device.  This will do
the mounts on different devices or different NFS servers in parallel.
This has the advantage that it is faster; also NFS timeouts go in
parallel. A disadvantage is that the mounts are done in undefined
order.  Thus, you cannot use this option if you want to mount both
/usr and /usr/spool."

  at least that will speed things up.

rday