Subject:,FC12 -- video resolution problems

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 1 10:50:08 UTC 2010

On 01/01/2010 03:20 AM, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Subject:
> FC12 -- video resolution problems
> From:
> Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>
> Date:
> Thu, 31 Dec 2009 19:39:34 -0500
>
> To:
> "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora."
> <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>

> I just did a FC12 install on my notebook, blowing away my Centos 5.3
> install.  Big step up.
>
> This is on a HP nc2400 that has the Intel 945M video.  It comes up
> with only 800x600 resolution.
>
> So I installed system-config-display and configured the monitor
> manually to be LCD 1280x1024, but selected only 1024x768.
>
> I logged out and logged in, and I came up in 1024x768 video.  I then
> pressed <FN-f4> to switch to my external LCD monitor, and things went
> a bit screwy.  I should point out that my monitor is on a Belkin KVM.
> But this has always worked in Centos.
>
> My situation right now is that the system is running both internal and
> external, and pressing <FN-f4> is not getting it to roll through
> internal, both, external, internal, etc. as it 'use to'.
>
> If I power up with the external disconnected, I come up in 1024x768
> and then if I plug the external in, it is not sized properly, like it
> is only 800x600 and thus you only see the center of the screen and
> only the background, not the running tasks.
>
> If I boot up with the external plugged in, the video is 800x600 for
> both internal and external, and I cannot roll through the modes.
>
> So what is going on here and how can I get things working reasonablly???
Hi Robert,

I have the same situation, and used the xrandr script which Marko posted
a couple of weeks ago.  This turns off the laptop screen on startup, BUT
anything which was on the laptopp screen gets "lost" ie, I can't refer
to anything which was in the trays.  If I then click on the cashew on
the external screen & hit "zoom out", it shows me 2 screen images, the
one I am using on the external screen (with the "blue blob"background),
the other which appears to be the last laptop image with a plain blue
screen.

My previous F11 installation used to have the same image on both
screens, which I could "auto config" on my external screen to get it to
full screen & Fn-f5(Toshiba) would cycle happily throught the
both-ext-lap.....

So far, I've not found an answer!

Dave