[Bulk] Re: Subject:,FC12 -- video resolution problems

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 1 12:30:48 UTC 2010

> On 01/01/2010 05:50 AM, DB wrote:
>> On 01/01/2010 03:20 AM, fedora-list-request at redhat.com
>> <mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> Subject:
>>> FC12 -- video resolution problems
>>> From:
>>> Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> <mailto:rgm at htt-consult.com>
>>> Date:
>>> Thu, 31 Dec 2009 19:39:34 -0500
>>>
>>> To:
>>> "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora."
>>> <fedora-list at redhat.com> <mailto:fedora-list at redhat.com>
>>>

>>> I just did a FC12 install on my notebook, blowing away my Centos 5.3
>>> install.  Big step up.
>>>
>>> This is on a HP nc2400 that has the Intel 945M video.  It comes up
>>> with only 800x600 resolution.
>>>
>>> So I installed system-config-display and configured the monitor
>>> manually to be LCD 1280x1024, but selected only 1024x768.
>>>
>>> I logged out and logged in, and I came up in 1024x768 video.  I then
>>> pressed <FN-f4> to switch to my external LCD monitor, and things
>>> went a bit screwy.  I should point out that my monitor is on a
>>> Belkin KVM.  But this has always worked in Centos.
>>>
>>> My situation right now is that the system is running both internal
>>> and external, and pressing <FN-f4> is not getting it to roll through
>>> internal, both, external, internal, etc. as it 'use to'.
>>>
>>> If I power up with the external disconnected, I come up in 1024x768
>>> and then if I plug the external in, it is not sized properly, like
>>> it is only 800x600 and thus you only see the center of the screen
>>> and only the background, not the running tasks.
>>>
>>> If I boot up with the external plugged in, the video is 800x600 for
>>> both internal and external, and I cannot roll through the modes.
>>>
>>> So what is going on here and how can I get things working
>>> reasonablly???
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> I have the same situation, and used the xrandr script which Marko
>> posted a couple of weeks ago.  This turns off the laptop screen on
>> startup, BUT anything which was on the laptopp screen gets "lost" ie,
>> I can't refer to anything which was in the trays.  If I then click on
>> the cashew on the external screen & hit "zoom out", it shows me 2
>> screen images, the one I am using on the external screen (with the
>> "blue blob"background), the other which appears to be the last laptop
>> image with a plain blue screen.
>>
>> My previous F11 installation used to have the same image on both
>> screens, which I could "auto config" on my external screen to get it
>> to full screen & Fn-f5(Toshiba) would cycle happily throught the
>> both-ext-lap.....
>>
>> So far, I've not found an answer!
>
> Have you filed a bug report?  If not, I think it is time to do it....
Not yet.... But I've just been googling the net & find a number of
references toFn-F combinations not having worked in Ubuntu a couple of
years ago, and also that Toshiba (apparently) is locked into M$ & cannot
supply info for Linux.....

Found that if I use xrandr --output <a> --same-as <b> I can get both
screens to have (basically) the same image - although not at the same
size!  But then zoomed out, found the 2 images under each other (rather
than side by side) & I lost my panel again - wish I knew where they went
(probably the same Black Hole where odd socks end up!)

Maybe someone from KDE can tell us how to change kcmrandrrc so as to get
at least the 2 screens showing the same image on startup! then we can
use xrandr to switch the laptop screen on and off...

Dave