Installation plays hardball

Beartooth Comcast Beartooth at comcast.net
Sat Jan 2 16:35:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> On Friday 01 January 2010 19:31:07 BeartoothHOS wrote:

>> 	I know Anaconda offers an option to *hide* LVM, but I don't
>> recall any choice to eschew it entirely. Am I just having a memory lapse?
>
> Ehmm, during the installation, at some point Anaconda will ask you how you
> want the disk set up, and you can choose between various partition layouts:
> default, this, that, and --- custom. So choose to create custom layout, and
> use the GUI interface (is it called disk druid?) to create all the partitions
> you want manually. The type of each partition is at your disposal to choose
> ---  ext#, fat, this, that, etc...

 	Yes, and I did, mostly with custom, over and over again. Id
est, I tried to increase the size of /boot any way I could, and
never found any way to add a single byte.

 	I'm not knowledgeable enough to do sophisticated
partitioning -- that would be like a half-blind spastic (both of
which I resemble at times) trying to shave with a straight razor.
He might succeed, of course.

> Alternatively, you may create LVM volumes
> and partitions inside them. It's all there in the GUI, and it's
> completely
> configurable. Nothing is forced down on you, AFAIK.

 	I haven't the faintest conception what LVM is, much less
what good it is to the Alpha Plus Technoids who understand it, but
whose prowess I no more aspire to than they to expertise on the
history of tongues. I did try, several times each, not only with
Anaconda but by accepting the risk of using gparted and qtparted.
All refused, every time, to let me add a single byte to /boot.

> The only thing I miss is the ability to use old-school fdisk instead of disk
> druid, but over time I learned to trust it to do its job as well as fdisk. :-)

 	Fdisk is another of the things of which I know only how to
spell them; life is too short ....