screensaver vs dpms

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sat Jan 2 18:46:47 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 10:25:00 -0800
jackson byers wrote:

> Do you have any more info as to just how in your case
> xset dpms was fighting with gnome power manager?

As near as I can tell the gnome power manager and gnome
screensaver implement some kind of gnome specific replacement
for the low level "xset" type operations, yet they don't
bother disabling the low level xset settings even when they
conflict with the gnome settings, so you wind up with both of
them taking effect at unexpected times. There have also
been a fantastic number of bugs with the gnome power
manager which would do things like trigger screen
blanking even though you just typed something about 3
seconds ago (even if you thought you had disabled
the gnome power manager). I tend to yum erase
gnome-power-manager these days and add startup entries
to run xset commands to get more reliable screen
blanking when I actually expect it to happen.